Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ready Set Blog: Challenge 1 - Who is the Tomato Snob?


This is a story i've wanted to tell you all for quite some time. Those of you that know me well have heard it before, the tale of how I became the Tomato Snob. Five years ago I lived in Miami. It was fabulous the food, the flavor the weather.  The building I used to live in is now the very posh Mondrian hotel but when I was living there it was just 1100 West Ave. A studio apartment with a double bed and a broken futon. I shared the flat with my dear friend Elliot. Although I do love him dearly, he has an amazing ability to drive me completely mad - enraged in seconds. Learning how to live with a roomate is one thing, but learning how to live with your gay best friend that your share 440 square feet, a sink, a fridge and a bed with was nearly impossible. But we did it, and most of the time we had a blast. We had opposite schedules and worked crazy hours but we always had breakfast together every Saturday. I would usually insist on cooking because it was really the only time I ever got the chance to make anything. The rest of the time I lived off frozen chicken cutlets, Pasha's Healthy Mediterranean breakfast burritos and Pizza Rustica salads, not to mention my twice a day habit of Cortadito's at David's Cafe. I couldn't wait to make a home cooked meal once a week. I was probably pretty bossy about getting to be the cook, but I thought Elliots cooking was pretty dodgy back in those days. I was also obsessed with frittatas, in fact I think I made one every week - my culinary arsenal was not as developed back then. The day The Tomato Snob was born I wanted to make a lovely tomato and basil frittata. I had just bought the most beautiful vine ripe tomatoes at Wild Oats the day before and I couldn't wait to use them with creamy goats cheese in fluffy egg custard baked to perfection. Everything was going great. My sister was visiting us from Toronto and I was so excited about the delicious meal we would enjoy together. I went to chop up my tomatoes and I couldn't find them anywhere. I look on top of the fridge, in the pantry and every cupboard, I even checked under the sink. I screamed to Elliot who was in the bathroom using the shower "hey boogar where are my tomatoes" a muffled noise came from the steaming hallway. I looked at my sister, and she shrugged - obviously she had no clue what he had said. I yelled at him again this time moving closer towards the bathroom door so he could hear me more clearly "where are my freaking tomatoes booo-gar - I just bought them yesterday!" I was getting angry at this point, thinking he better not have eaten my beautiful ripe tomatoes. About a minute later the door opened with a cloud of thick moisture. Elliot appeared in front of us in a towel with toothpaste foaming around his mouth "they're in the f----" "The WHAT" I said "the fridge...the fridge" he shouted while the tooth paste was frothing down his chin. This just sent me over the edge. Once I realized he said the tomatoes where in the fridge I lost it. I have no idea what I said from there. All I remember was a lot of shouting and yelling "they're ruined! You ruined my tomatoes!" I said furiously. I may have even thrown a tomato out of the window in my fit of rage. At this point his toothbrush was gone, and he was screaming at me to relax " they're just tomatoes" he screamed at me "who do you think you are throwing tomatoes out, they are still perfectly good, what are you a tomato snob" At this point everyone went silent, it was intense, there was nothing for like five seconds, and then my sister broke out laughing. The laughter was contagious we were all in sitches seconds later. And so from then on I became the Tomato Snob. I took my love of tomatoes very seriously, you better not F%#&@ with my tomatoes!


So what defines The Tomato Snob as a foodbloger? I'm passionate about cooking, eating and story telling not to mention my fascination with aesthetics. I have a great love for food, and a deep respect for beautiful ingredients and tradition. I should be the next food blog star because I'm entertaining, creative and I make fooding (eating, cooking, enjoying food) accessible for anyone and everyone. I want to inspire my readers, and teach them to be fearless in the kitchen. I would love to be the winner of this food blog challenge.
It's an honour to be part of this amazing contest.
Please vote for me! 

20 comments:

  1. Glad I finally made it into the blog-which looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story and blog! Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. Educating one tomato ignoranamus at a time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! I would have done the same thing--tomatoes are to be venerated and loved--not put in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. If you like this post please vote for here http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/452

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one Tomato snob to another ....Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog! You've got my vote...good luck!

    mez
    (who thinks that the use of the word 'tomato' in the same sentence as "in the fridge', ought to be illegal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i never heard that story before! u are my most favourite tomato snob ever. hoping you win, and trying to vote lots! hard to tell if votes are going thru. XO Joey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tomato Snob,

    Very sweet story - well told. Anyone who gets that protective about tomatoes definitely deserves to win this! Lovely story....

    Marni (Guernsey) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just voted for you! I hope you'll check out my locavore, good food blog and vote for me too! Great blog. Good luck with your PFB post. Lexi
    http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/contestants/1337

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny story! I am also a tomato snob - they get grainy and gross in the fridge!

    Just voted for you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Love my tomatoes warm off the vine... Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the story behind the Tomato Snob. Good job. And I love the cortaditos from David's Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story about the birth of your namesake!

    I had a friend who was growing her own vegetable garden. She was outside gardening one day and noticed the season's first ripe tomato. Planning to make a delicious BLT, she came back out at dinner to pick it, but it was gone! Her friend and next door neighbor swiped it. In years past she usually shared and had no problem with it, but being the first tomato of the season, she was crazed. She marched over to her neighbor's and demanded it back. Sounds like the two of you would get along pretty well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amari - Lol well thats just plain rude! People should know their produce etiquette! Sound like we would be two tomatoes on a vine ;) Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to all my snobs and snobettes who voted. Can't wait for round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha utterly hilarious! Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Justified making my first mail at tomatosnob.blogspot.com, which seems to be a wonderful forum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just discovered your blog (via Sarah of Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends) and I love this story : ) I am a tomato snob, too!

    Apparently-- and I barely remember this-- one of the first times I had my girlfriend over for dinner, almost 2 years ago when we'd first started dating, I was in the middle of making her dinner when out of the blue, I leaned around the door of the fridge and asked her something like "wait, you don't keep your tomatoes in the refrigerator, do you?" and she still talks about that moment and how she sensed it was some kind of test! (I don't think I would have used that tone of voice intentionally, but...) Luckily, she passed the test! Now we live together, and keep our tomatoes on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison,
      Welcome to The Tomato Snob's blog and thank you for sharing your story. I love it! Only a true tomato snob understands the seriousness of storing tomatoes to perfection. Hope you are having a delicious fall!

      Delete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!