Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Korean Charred Beef & sesame slaw


Yes it's September. I don't know whether to cry or celebrate the fact that fall is here. It seems like the summer swept by in a blink. Like May was only last week and I was celebrating my 30th birthday with family and friends. I'm in a mood today I guess, a mood that can only be lifted with this delicious simple end of summer dinner. It's light and flavorful and will not dissapoint. A while back I had the pleasure of cooking for newlyweds Macy & Stephen. They were a couple cool kids that love their food and wine, needless to say we hit it off emmediatly. I promised them I would post the recipe for their dinner that evening and here it finally is. 

* Macy & Stephen - I actually made a variation or this slaw using a hoisen vinaigrette from the Vietnamese salad roll dipping sauce. It was basically just hoisen sauce, sambal chili, splash of citrus, splash or rice vinegar & sesame oil. I also added julienned peppers & cucumber to the mix. 

FOR THE SLAW: 
1/4 red cabbage - shredded 
1/4 green cabbage - shredded
1 carrot - shredded 
Asian pear - julienned 
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 green onions - thinly sliced
handful of mint - chopped
handful of cilantro - chopped
splash citrus - orange, lemon or lime (or all three) 
splash of rice wine vinegar 
drizzle sesame oil  
pinch s & p 
black sesame seeds - for garnish 

PREP: Chop, shred, mince and toss all ingredients together

FOR THE BEEF: Season beef on each side with salt, then whisk marinade and pour 1/2 on the beef (we used NY strip). Allow marinade to sit for 1 hour  if you have the time. Reserve the rest of the marinade to spoon over the dish once it's finished. 

COOK: In a blazing hot cast iron pan sear beef for two to three mins on each side (for medium rare). Do not move the meat around in the pan, you want a crust to form around the edges to create the char. Touch the beef and if it feels slightly springy remove from heat and place on your cutting board. Allow beef to rest for at least 2 mins before you cut it into slices. *If you have a fan above your stove you will want to put it on before you begin to cook - this dish produces a lot of smoke. 



 

3 comments:

  1. 맛잇겟다! I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing... Im gonna try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe is so quick and look delicious. I've got to try it!!Meriem

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!