Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Organics Delivered

So as I mentioned earlier I started this venture off with the delivery of my first basket of organic produce. The company who provided this service is called Organics Delivered. A small start up with very basic promotional material. I thought they were just going fro the granola appeal, but now I seem to thin their lack of experience, and knowledge go straight across the board. 

The promise was made that the contents of my 15$ deposited rubbermaid box would contain 100% organic produce, the best of season, local or geographically close, and much fresher then the grocery store. I was hooked. My grocery store "Fiesta Farms" is insanely fresh, with lots of local grower options, so I had to see if these guys could really do any better. The promise of better quality was a great incentive, but I was pretty much testing fate - utter disappointment. Although I was quite excited to have the stuff delivered to my house. Its -15 outside and I had just returned from a three-week vacation in Cabo and Florida. 

 The deal - I signed up for a two week trial which included the option of an on off week arrangement where I would get a delivery, and the following week I would get none, but two weeks later the second delivery would come. Each box was 48$ and there would be a 15$ retainer fee for the delivery box which would be reimburse if you no longer wanted to continue with the service. Didn't sound so bad - so I went for it. Filled out my registration online, and within 15 minutes someone had called me to confirm my order. I was impressed; I love things done in a timely manner. 

There was a very sweet woman on the other end of the line, and she said it would be no problem to swap out the potatoes for sweet yams. She told me the delivery would come the next day, and we arranged for the drop off to happen between 4-6, as I had to leave after six. She requested that I tape a check fro 111.00 to my door the next day at noon, and a driver would come by to pick it up, and drop off my welcome letter. Sounds good to me. 

The following day I taped up my check, and sure enough just afternoon I went to go check, the check was gone and there was a welcome letter waiting for me in the mailbox. Sweet- on time again, and can't wait for my produce. 

At 5:00 I decided to watch Dr. Oz - I'm obsessed, he's so handsome and I love learning heath things to make me even more of a hypochondriac. Just kidding I just like to learn the tip and tricks he has for his doctor’s orders. Well the show came to an end, and I checked outside, and my box was still nowhere to be found. I had to leave, and I was starting to get upset. 

I called them from my car, stating that my delivery was supposed to be there already, and that I had to leave. The woman on the other end assured me that the driver would call me back, and a was put at ease when he did about seven minutes later. He apologized profusely and said he would leave the box on my porch, and promised that it was done like that all the time, and they've never had any stolen boxes. OK- I said but was a bit skeptical as I do live in a pretty sketchy neighborhood. 

Yay - it was 9:30 and my box was there, I couldn't wait to tear into it and see all of my beautiful produce. I opened this sealed Rubbermaid box and was immediately irked. 

 

The contents:
5 big dirty carrots - Location unknown
bag of celery - USA
4 apples - Canada (not even Ontario)
butternut squash - Mexico

3 unripened mangoes - Equador
tiny gathering of kale - USA
4 pieces of rainbow chard - California
6 pears - Location unknown
5 satsuma tangerienes - California
3 oranges - Probably from Florida
2 large grapefruits - USA
giant head of cabbage - Location unknown
small head of lettuce- Location unknown

I'm sure from reading the list you know exactly how I feel. Not one of these products are local. Ok so there are a few unknowns but judjing from the rest of the list I think it pretty safe to say. This is a crock!

I was also disapointed to see all these veggies floating around the box, no bags. Nothing. I couldn't believe this mishmash of produce. It also came in quantities that I would never buy in. Who the hell eats cabbage, we aren't living in Poland in the 40's, and the damn butternut squash from Mexico. I just spent two weeks in Mexico, and I never saw any squash in the grocery store there, nor did I ever see any on the menu. This was a box of calamity. Where are my damn yams 





3 comments:

  1. Try one of the alternatives in Toronto. There are a few really good box delivery companies (Mama Earth Organics and Front Door Organics mainly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOhhhh a hate comment Yay. By the grammar I'm confused as to whether I'm the IDIOT or Organics Delivered is the IDIOT.
    Here's your list Anonymous Hater:

    December in Ontario:
    Apples (stored)
    Beets (stored)
    Broccoli (fresh; maybe, depends on weather)
    Brussels sprouts (fresh)
    Cabbage (fresh/stored)
    Carrots (stored)
    Celeriac (stored)
    Celery (fresh)
    Cranberries (not many at this point)
    Garlic (stored)
    Grapes (fresh; not many and only early)
    Leeks (stored)
    Onions (stored)
    Parsnips (stored)
    Pears (fresh)
    Potatoes (stored)
    Rutabaga (stored)
    Shallots (stored)
    Sweet Potatoes (stored)
    Turnips (stored)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think organics delivered has gone out of business now. They used to deliver organic groceries all over Canada but no longer! You can still get organic fruit and snacks delivered to your office from Fruitfull offices. They supply the Vancouver area

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!