Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good Morning Carrot muffins

Something I was always deprived of as a kid was muffins. My mother was really strict about what we ate, and all I have to say is sorry mom it did us no good! Muffins can be healthy and satisfying  especially when you make them yourself - they are also great way to curb a sweet tooth. When baking I always try and create a recipe that is healthy as well as tasty. I use ingredients like whole wheat flour, or unbleached cane sugar or honey instead of white sugar. In fact we have cut out all white flour and sugar all together. We eat free range eggs and organic products as much as we can - but this is all besides the point. MMMmmmmmuffins are a great start to the day. These muffins have lots of fiber and vitamin c and other good things.  I made mine with purple carrots but any carrot will work just fine. My dear friend Molly was my sous chef for the day. She loves coming over and baking, and she is an excellent helper, not only with the grunt work but with recipe writing as well. I'm so lucky to have such a great friend and sous chef. Good Morning Carrot Muffins INGREDIENTS:
4 carrots - shredded
1 + 1/4 cup flour - whole wheat
1 cup sugar - raw cane sugar
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg 
1 tsp baking powder 
1tsp baking soda 
pinch salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil 
2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/4 cup coconut 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
1/2 cup yogurt - fat free
PREP: Combine all dry ingredients including nuts and coconut. Wet ingredients: combined eggs sugars and extracts. Add carrots then oil and finally the yogurt. Fold dry to wet ingredients in small batches. 
GARNISH: thinly slice carrots and place on top of muffins 1/2 way through cooking. 
BAKE: 350 for 30 minutes. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!