Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

California Sandwich - chicken parm & raipini


 There are some pretty good sandwich spots in Toronto. Some of them pop up and are slammed for a few moths or so before becoming a desolate wasteland. Then there are others that  a true urban tradition. Today I'm talking about California Sandwich - a legendary spot for Italian sandwiches.This delicious close up is of my chicken parm sandwich from the other day. The only thing better then a chicken parm sandwich is, a chicken parm sandwich with extra sauce and rapini. To tell you the truth California Sandwich isn't the absolute best, however it is sure to satisfy your sloppy sammy craving in desperate times. I will give the sandwich three starts out of five due to the fact that the chicken lacks in crispiness and is almost always soggy - the breading peels right off the chicken which is a sign that they might not be dredging properly. By this I refer to the assembly line process of dipping the flattened chicken breast into flour, then into egg and finally in marinated bread crumbs before taking a deep fry Jacuzzi in scolding hot oil. I will assume they are taking some short cuts to keep up with the demand for greasy goodness. Their bread could also be better i prefer a chewier crustier variety. Their sauce ie "gravy" as the Italians call it is top notch. After much finger licking and drinking directly from the tiny side order cup I will conclude that there are roasted jalapenos in this stunning concoction. The rapini was an excellent addition of garlicky bitter goodness. Never have I enjoyed a topping on this sandwich more. I'm not a fan of the hot pepper and onion mixture, nor the onion and mushroom offering. This place does have a cult like following. I am sure you will not be disappointed if the mood strokes you. I can not comment on any other dishes at this time since my knowledge is limited to this particular favorite. If I ever do try any of the other selections I will definitely keep you posted. Gnight!

5 comments:

  1. While it wasn't a 5 out of 5, it does look pretty darn tasty :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I have a trip to Toronto coming up in May, so I'll be interested what else you share! :) Love honest reviews that don't just praise, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love California Sandwich! And definitely agree that their sauce is probably what makes the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love California Sandwiches! I have been stopping in since the 70's and can truly say that they're my fav. I've tried everything, except for the chicken. Wasn't too impressed with the steak and onions, the last time I had it. The eggplant is also good. Never tried a sandwich with rapini but it looks like a definite, must try.

    For the record, the sauce is available for purchase in different size containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 02, 2012

    That Italian Place in Brampton is way better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!