Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bretta Farms, bring on the grass fed beef - and please keep it comin.

Holy Cow - literally eating Bretta organic beef is a divine experience.
I'm bursting with satisfaction. 
At 2:30 today my delivery arrived, a small cardboard box, and 
a white plastic bag filled with spicy organic all beef, no additives 
no antibiotics just grass raised cow sausages, 4 pounds of lean 
ground beef, 2 prime rib steaks, 10 chicken breasts, and a box 
of turkey burgers. Needles to say my freezer looks healthier then 
ever, and my bank account is feeling a little less healthy. Actually my boyfriend was kind 
enough to pick up the tab. Sweet, I guess I can do all the cooking to make up for it. 
Tonight we sampled the sausages and I made some of his favorite - kefta kebabs, with 
a side order of mint potatoes, and some sauteed kale. 
Kefta Kebabs:
1 pound lean ground beef. 
1 small spanish onion 
1 clove garlic
handful chopped parsley or cilantro 
splash of red wine (Jack Daniels will also do the trick)
1 tsp. paprika 
1 tsp. cumin - or more if your my Moroccan boyfriend
1 tsp. chili powder - if you like it spicy 
pinch of cinnamon 
salt & pepper to taste 
I start off by finely chopping my onions and garlic and parsley. Put the parsley aside, and saute the onions and garlic together in olive oil, cook until they are translucent (medium heat), and then add your spices. When the miture seems dry and the spices have releases their aromas throw your wine in (low temp, then turn up the heat so that the alcohol burns off) be careful if the flame comes up. Cook for a few more minutes, if you're not sure if the alcohol has burned off - give a little taste (as my great grandmother "bubby" used to say)
In a clean large bowl put the onion and garlic mixture to cool off before you add the beef. Add the parsley to this mixture, you can also add a pinch more of your spices, depending on how strong you want the flavors to be. Once the mixture has cooled off, add your beef and with your hands start  combining the ingredients together.  You can form little burgers, or oval patties, you can let these sit in the fridge to marinate for a while, or cook them right away.  Cook in a grill pan if its winter but I prefer the bbq over anything. Serve with Dijon Mustard and Hummus.
Minty Potatoes:
bunch of mint 
bunch of basil 
1-2 cloves of garlic
potatoes (red skins) - I like them better
salt and pepper. 
Finely chop mint basil and garlic, add a few spoonfuls of olive oil s&p and let sit in a bowl. 
You can make the potatoes any way, I prefer to cut them up into bite size pieces and roast them in a bit of olive oil s&p until crisp, but if you are in a hurry you can always stab them with a fork a couple of times,  and then nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes until tender. Let them sit for a few minutes before trying to cut them. If they still need a few more minutes to cook you can through them in a pan with a little olive oil and flash fry them. Once they are cooked drop them in the herb and oil mixture, toss and enjoy.  You can also mash some of the pieces they allow the potatoes to take on more of the flavor. 


Ok back to Bretta... If you didn't already get it, I loved the products. The ground beef had a beautiful rich red colour, not like the grey crap you get at the grocery store. The sausages were delicious as well, i'm very pleased with this purchase. I can't wait to try the rest of the meat. Supposedly they sell Bretta at some grocery stores, I'll see if I can find out where, and let everyone know - Stay Tuned. 



1 comment:

  1. What a doll your bf is... the meat sounds ever so amazing. I've only had mint potatoes once and I fell in love. So this receipe will def be added to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!